Delight your taste buds with this scrumptious and easy-to-make vanilla flan recipe.
This sweet and creamy dessert, nestled in a light, flaky pastry, is perfect to serve at any gathering or simply to enjoy on a relaxing evening at home.
Give this simple recipe a try and be prepared to impress your friends and family with your culinary skills!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 pre-made pie crust (9-inch)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional: Fresh fruit or whipped cream for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and press the pre-made pie crust into a 9-inch pie dish. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly to ensure a smooth mixture.
- Cook the milk mixture over medium heat, stirring frequently, until it thickens and comes to a boil. Continue to boil for 1 minute, then remove the saucepan from heat.
- Temper the egg yolks by slowly whisking a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the yolks. Then, pour the tempered yolks back into the saucepan, whisking quickly to incorporate.
- Return the saucepan to medium heat and cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens further.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Pour the vanilla filling into the prepared pie crust and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake the flan for 40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is set. Allow the flan to cool completely before serving, and store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Tips and tricks:
- For an extra touch of decadence, serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Top the flan with fresh fruit, such as berries or sliced peaches, for added flavor and texture.
- For a dairy-free version, use almond milk or coconut milk in place of regular milk.
- For a gluten-free option, use a gluten-free pie crust.
Wine or beverage pairings:
A sweet, fruity white wine like a Moscato or Riesling would pair wonderfully with this dessert. Alternatively, a cup of hot tea or coffee would also complement the creamy vanilla flavors of the flan.